First the exercise stuff, I got a 40kg log press at the Thursday evening S&C class which I am very chuffed with, onwards and upwards to the big boy log (50kg). It was because of the encouragement of the coach and the other participants I got it and why I think that if you are a bit meh about exercise finding the (right) class, group, partner to share it with can help with motivation. I am 37 and have spent (17) years finding exercises I enjoy doing. If you don’t like the first thing you try (usually running) don’t give up try something else. There is a place for everything, even Zumba.
I think I got my mojo back as well, I walked out of the gym on Wednesday feeling great. I am hoping the freezing weather is finally fucking off.
This week has been ok on the exercise front I completely avoided squats but got the bench press and military press done. Deadlifts were scheduled yesterday but on one of the lifts I twinged something in my back. As I am paranoid about getting a back injury I stopped, did a few half hearted assisted chin ups/dips (I hate it when the session in my mind doesn’t turn out right) and left. My lovely husband ran me a very hot bath to help however within 2 minutes my 2 year old wanted to come in accompanied by 3 ducks and 5 boats….
It’s that time of the year where thoughts turn to bikinis (I have already mentioned it here) and every magazine has the bikini ready diet (actually I have no idea if they do as I don’t read them anymore but I would be surprised if they don’t). There are several body positive memes going round at the moment such as the following:
Which is of course how it should be. Personally I prefer to use the word awesome, despite not being an American teenager.
I was driving to Tesco for red wine when I started to wonder why do I want to wear a bikini so much? Why do we attach so much importance to wearing a bikini? Come autumn I don’t think bloody hell it’s skinny jeans time maybe I should lose some weight on my legs! So what is this yearly obsession we seem to have with wearing into a bikini?
- Do I think it’s a sign of youth? (no)
- Am I still chasing the rays despite the the dangers? (no, I even pull on a t-shirt at slightest hint of burn)
- Do I want other people to look at me and think there is no way she is 37 with 2 kids? (a ha ha ha ha, no felt like this before kids and I don’t think I’m 37 anyway)
So I thought about this some more and still couldn’t work out why I would rather, if possible, wear a bikini. There are no obvious advantages to wearing a bikini over a swimsuit. In fact you are more likely to lose bikini tops/bottoms and as there is more flesh on show more chance of sun burn/skin damage. What is this obsession with wearing a bikini, the only thing it flashes that a swimsuit doesn’t is the stomach and I don’t really have any problems with wearing a swimsuit (as long as I don’t have to look at myself in a changing room mirror, and they aren’t usually found on the beach). Someone on Twitter remarked that this angst over bikini season is quite UK centric, that they haven’t found the same obsession in Germany or Holland. I don’t know is this is true or not, but if it is it would be interesting to find out why. However I also realise this is the third time I have referenced wearing a swimsuit/bikini in a blog post. Which is boring both for you and me and I won’t be doing it again thanks to an epiphany on the way to Tesco. Odd.
Links to blogs this week I liked
- What I really look like, a perfectly healthy body in more and less flattering photos
- How To Build A Better Body & Why You Won’t See Pictures Of Me In A Bikini – Where Nia Shanks should have told doubters to just fuck off she is too much of a lady and actually responds.
- You’ve lost weight you look great isn’t a compliment This one really resonates with me, I haven’t yet commented as I am wondering whether to put down my feelings in a blog as they are quite long but I think my basic opinion is we need to STOP using weight as a way of complementing or dissing someone.
- The Media Diet Added late to the post as only read evening of 14th but I think it’s a kick ass post
Right it’s Sunday and the SUN looks like it is finally making an appearance. I hope you are all having a good weekend. My question today is what is your favourite word to describe yourself?