So I did a session this morning, trap bar deadlifts AMRAP for 1 minute x 3 followed by a superset of chained deadlifts and hip thrusts. My coach filmed a set of the chained deadlifts…
But some gutting news this afternoon. The competition has been cancelled. Too many people pulling out at the last minute. The problem is entry is only £15, so whilst that encourages people to enter there is no real disincentive to pulling out.
Right. What now?
Well there is another competition in September in Northampton. It was on my radar but I didn’t really want to compete in August, September and October. The events are also very different
- Max Zurcher Lift – Cambered bar – starting weight 40kg – 5kg increments. (Not all lifts must be completed, step in and out as desired).
- Over Head Medley – 30kg log, 40kg log, 50kg axel – 1 rep on each in order, max reps in 75seconds.
- Sandbag Carry and load into tractor tyre over 15-20m – 30kg, 35kg,40kg, 45kg, 60kg.
- 20m rope pull into sled drag (head to head!) – 100kg on astro turf.
- Farmers 65kg – over 40m (head to head weather permitting or individual if indoors, indoors with a turn, outside drag race style)
- Overhead wobble hold! – Oly bar in high rack with suspended tractor tyres on bands, hold at lockout for max time. – 30kg bar weight, 9kg tyres – total weight 48kg. (head to head).
All the events are doable (bit worried about the 50kg axel as I can’t currently clean and press that weight but it would be something to work towards in the next 6 weeks)
So why the hesitation? Because I would have to cut weight. It’s an U75 competition and the scales said about 78kg this morning. 3 kgs isn’t a lot of weight, and I have 6 weeks. I checked my weight this morning for various boring and not mentally stable reasons and despite feeling great and seeing positive changes in my body my first thought was panic that I weighed SEVENTY EIGHT KILOS. Yeah I know I need to get a grip as I’m strong, healthy and own wonder woman knickers. I’d also be slightly hypocritical after raising an eyebrow at another blogger who was looking to cut weight for a competition (slightly different scenario as she had to go lower than 75kg and was already quite lean). I would still be eating more than probably 80% of the women I know even if I was trying to lose weight. But I’ve spent the last 6 months trying to accept my body without validation of the scale. Can 6 weeks undo 6 months work? Argh, decisions.
I need to mull it over.